Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2nd Annual St. Patrick's Day Feast






Preparation for St. Patrick's Day began March 1st. I make my own corned beef, so the brisket needs to sit in the brine for at least 2 weeks in advance of cooking. This isn't very difficult, though it does take up a lot of space in our refrigerator and is a bit messy. I think the most difficult thing about doing this every year is finding a non-reactive container to hold the 5.5 pound brisket and brining liquid. That's not easy! Next year I'll be a little more prepared for that.

The new element this year (other than the new house!) was Irish soda bread. So delicious, easy, and, as far as breads go, FAST! If I had more time, I would have loved to try my own rye bread. As some of you may know, I am a follower of Bread Baker's Apprentice, though I haven't been able to try as many bread formulas as I want to. If there were only more hours in the day! This time around, I cheated with a rustic rye from Pain Quotidien. That was one heavy bread!

A celebration involving meat and potatoes (and cabbage, of course) was the perfect way to break-in our new dining room furniture. Some of our closest friends joined us on the 17th for dinner, drinks and dessert. We're already looking forward to our 3rd annual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment